Working in Hong Kong
Multicultural, diverse Hong Kong is the international business gateway to the Asia Pacific region. English is the main language used in commerce and banking and professionals worldwide are drawn to this cosmopolitan city with its rewarding working environment. If you are thinking about moving from abroad to work in Hong Kong or China, Morgan McKinley can give you with all the information you need to make this decision.
At Morgan McKinley our specialist consultants are ready to offer advice and guidance for your foreign recruitment queries. Our international recruitment experts can answer your questions and offer any advice you may require about working in Hong Kong.
Living in Hong Kong – Fast Facts
- Hong Kong has a population of approximately 7 million, roughly half of whom are well-educated professionals.
- Being subtropical, Hong Kong’s climate is perennially humid.
- Chinese and English are the most commonly spoken languages and a significant proportion of the working population are bilingual. The native tongues are Cantonese and Mandarin.
- In Hong Kong, the currency is the Hong Kong dollar (HKD), although throughout the rest of China, the yuan (CNY) is common currency.
- It is not uncommon for the typical working week to be more than 50 hours.
Visa and Tax Requirements in Hong Kong
There are a number of items of identification and declaration that you will require to work in Hong Kong, including a valid visa.
Equally vital to working in Hong Kong is a valid work permit and Hong Kong identification card. The Hong Kong ID card is a legal requirement under the Registration of Persons Ordinance and must be carried with you at all times. The Hong Kong ID card offers a number of benefits for transport and public services.
Morgan McKinley can offer you support and advice about working in a number of global locations including Hong Kong and China. Contact us today to find out how we can help you further your career
Thinking about Moving to China?
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Hong Kong.
- Career Advice
- Accounting & Finance - C&I
- Accounting & Finance - FS
- Asset Management
- Banking Operations
- Corporate Finance and M&A
- Human Resources
- IT - Commerce & Industry
- IT - Financial Services
- Private Banking & Wealth Management
- Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Project & Change Management
- Risk Management
- Sales & Marketing
- Sales, Trading & Research
- Living & Working in Japan
- Working Internationally